Re: Microsoft's Linux Kernel Code Drop Result of GPL Violation

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Microsoft's Linux Kernel Code Drop Result of GPL Violation
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:47:43 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Who told you that?

I made it up, based on my theoretical knowledge of how things
like this usually work. I'm prepared to be shown otherwise.

So the "GCC shipped with Interix" is okay... but what about
> emacs.exe generated by that GCC?

That's fine too, because the executable is linked with the
library, and it falls under the system library exception.
The library does not "accompany" emacs.exe.

In any case, both GCC and Emacs are now licensed under GPLv3,
so the "accompany" clause is no longer relevant. GPLv3 has no
such restriction.

Think of bootstrapping and all that. Does this ring a bell?

No.