Re: Licensing issues with a research project

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Licensing issues with a research project
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:28:55 +0200

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Tassilo writes:
>> Well, still the EPL FAQ [1] says, that you cannot combine GPL with
>> EPL code in one module.
>
> Unless you are the copyright owner, in which case you can make an
> explicit exception.  Remember, these are model licenses, not laws.

Sure, but in general we all are too clueless when it comes to licensing.
As I see it currently, the LGPL would fit our needs best.

Concerning the "Does OO-inheritance, plain linking, or only physical
modification create a derivated work?", I found this statement on the
LGPL wikipedia page:

,----
| The LGPL contains no special provisions for inheritance, because none
| are needed. Inheritance creates derivative works in the same way as
| traditional linking, and the LGPL permits this type of derivative work
| in the same way as it permits ordinary function calls.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo