Re: Licensing issues with a research project

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing issues with a research project
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:34:58 +0200

Tassilo Horn wrote:
[...]
> Hm, citing the EPL FAQ:
>
> ,----
> | Further, you may not combine EPL and GPL code in any scenario where
> | source code under those licenses are both the same source code module.
> `----
>
> I have to admit, that I don't really understand that sentence.  I can
> read it, that only mixing (in the sense of copy&paste) EPL code and GPL

They mean that EPL'd modules must be free from any protected expression
copied from the GPL'd code.

See

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise22.html
(III.B. Abstraction, Filtration, Comparison)

> code in one file is forbidden.  I can also read it, that I may not have
> a JAR-file containing GPL code bundled with an EPL project.

A JAR-file is an aggregation of "modules" in binary form. You may have a
JAR-file containing GPL'd modules "bundled" with EPL'd modules.

> Well, but the FSF's statement is clear:
>
> ,----
> | Based upon the position of the Free Software Foundation, you may not
> | combine EPL and GPL code in any scenario where linking exists between
> | code made available under those licenses. The above applies to both
> | GPL version 2 and GPL version 3.
> `----

The position of the Free Software Foundation may be upheld only in a
court of the GNU Republic (i.e. not in this reality).

Ignore the allegedly "GPL incompatibility" nonsense.

See

http://markmail.org/message/pkwi5gzoxx3gdoas

Hth.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm