Re: Computerworld.com/Infoworld.com: Does GPL still matter?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Computerworld.com/Infoworld.com: Does GPL still matter?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:45:46 +0200

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms@1407.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:33:51PM +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136467/Does_GPL_still_matter_
>>
>> "[ Editor's note: InfoWorld tried to interview Richard Stallman, who
>> runs the Free Software Foundation that created and manages the GPL, on
>> this issue, but he demanded control of what we published, so we
>> declined. ]"
>
> Well, ComputerWorld demands control of what they publish, so if Richard
> Stallman wants to make sure they never "make" him say "open source" he
> has to demand that (I've witnessed this kind of requests from him).

I don't understand what the shit is supposed to be about.  That people
want to have interviews authorized by them in the final form of
publication is quite what I would have expected.  That InfoWorld sees
themselves unable to deal with such a request makes one wonder what
their problem is.  No deadline planning?  Wanting to present the
interviewed person in a manner to which he would not agree?

That they want blanket authorization to publish whatever they choose to
pick before even doing the interview seems pretty strange.  I know that
I would not want something like that done to an interview of mine, and
people always have asked before the final publication whether I was ok
with it.

--
David Kastrup