Re: Free software is dead.

From: Snit
Subject: Re: Free software is dead.
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 07:05:53 -0700

Rjack stated in post mdednbh7M6qg8yLXnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@giganews.com on
9/27/09 6:52 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>> Rick stated in post KKadnbabnZ7z-CLXnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d@supernews.com
>> on 9/27/09 6:15 AM:

>>> Stallman has not tried to re-difine free. Get a dictionary.
>>
>> The dictionary does not talk about his "freedom 3".  Something for
>> you to chew on, eh?
>>

> Since the dictionary does not define "freedom 3", then it must be
> something Stallman imagined. Correct?
>
> Sincerely,
> Rjack :)

The Free Software Foundation claims they "maintain" their own definition:

<http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html>
    -----
    We maintain this free software definition...
    -----

Do not get me wrong... when speaking about a specific idea which is
important to you, as they are, it makes sense to be precise with how *you*
are using the key words.  The fact they do this makes sense... but it is not
a standard dictionary definition, it is far more details and precise.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]