Re: GPL upheld on appeal in France

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: GPL upheld on appeal in France
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:15:50 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:
Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

John Hasler wrote:
David Kastrup writes:
It would not seem like a particularly important "victory".
I think it is an obvious and predictable victory, but still an important one as it has a court establishing that the GPL is
_not_ the same as public domain. This is obvious, but many
trolls have asserted that it is so loudly and so frequently for
so many years that they have actually convinced many members of
the public.
Wow, I an unaware of those loud and frequent "troll" arguments claiming that GPL licensed code is public domain. Could you
provide links to some of those arguments?

Easy enough using Google groups search.

For example, try

from a certain "Rjack" troll.

I quote:

I couldn't agree more about distributing illegally and violateing
an *enforceable* copyright license.

An illegal toilet-paper license like the GPL is a whole 'nuther story. An now for the rest of the story. . .

Uhhh... where does the cited message even mention the words "public
domain"?

Sincerely,
Rjack :)