Re: [News] Richard Stallman Protects MySQL from Oracle

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [News] Richard Stallman Protects MySQL from Oracle
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:51:33 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> [...]
>> I've got things to do, a life to get on with, and a discussion about words,

> You didn't sound like a guy having things to do, a life to get on with,
> when you posted

> http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20090922030639824&title=%20PJ%2C%20please%20stop%20feeding%20the%20troll&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=0#c788848

Care to share your views on that, Alex?  You've quoted it, in full, twice
now, but without comment.  That's a rather strange thing to do.

> -----
> PJ, please stop feeding the troll

> Authored by: AMackenzie on Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 02:11 PM EDT

> PJ,

> Why do you keep quoting Alex Terekhov as though he were some sort of
> authority?

> (That's both a straight and a rhetorical question).

> That poster is a plain troll and a spammer; intelligent, devious,
> abusive, foul-mouthed, patronising, and allround thoroughly
> objectionable. Together with several anonymous posters, he has
> destroyed the gnu-misc-discuss mailing list. The archive of the
> mailing list is at

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/

> Not so long ago, this list was vibrant and interesting, with
> discussions over a broad range of subjects, and its loss is a
> loss indeed.

> Whilst the validity and bounds of the GPL are certainly on topic for
> gnu-misc-discuss, these posters started foghorning it on the list,
> perhaps two or three years ago. The plain nastiness caused bona-fide
> posters to unsubscribe, and the list is now dead. Perhaps that was
> the intention. Arguments that they are fouling up somebody else's
> patch and trespassing on FSF resources are ignored, as are other
> appeals to decency.

> When the FSF created the mailing list it also created a usenet
> gateway to it, but mistakenly decided not to make the corresponding
> newsgroup moderated. Those were the early days of forums, and the
> people setting them up naively assumed that other posters would be,
> in the main, convivial and decent. It is through Usenet that these
> posters post.

> PJ, every time you mention Terekhov as though he were in some way
> important, you'll be sending him a gratifying tingle, encouraging
> him to carry on with his spamming and trolling. This is most
> galling to those of us who have expended countless hours
> neutralising his FUD and trying to save the gnu-misc-discuss
> list.

> Please, don't feed the trolls. Not even this one.
> -----

> What happened that you've changed, Alan?

No change.  I feel the gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org was a list worth
preserving.  By contrast, there is nothing to be gained by a silly
discussion about whether the use of free software is a "market".

Sometimes, when you troll, you are playing more than just a harmless
game - there can be consequences.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).