Re: Trance/Club version of the Free Software Song released

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Trance/Club version of the Free Software Song released
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:52:19 -0700

In article <hbsl4h$ec5$1@news.albasani.net>,
 Marti van Lin <ml2mst@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've released a instrumental version of the Free Software Song,
> Including a couple of Richard M. Stallman (RMS) samples from various
> interviews and the lyrics of the song quoted by Text To Speech technology.
>
> It is strictly distributed in the Free Ogg-Vorbis file format under the
> GNU General Public License, version 3 (GPLv3).

Using GPL (any version) for music raises issues over source code. If I
give a copy of the recording to someone else, I'm obligated to supply
source, or give them an offer of source. But what is source for music?
The score? Copies of the separate tracks from before mixing?

The FSF says the GPL is for code. That's why they don't use GPL on, say,
documentation. You should consider using a license such as one of the
Creative Commons licenses, that works reasonably with music.

--
--Tim Smith