Using the GPL for music

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Using the GPL for music
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 00:53:26 +0100

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:
> The FSF says the GPL is for code.

...and other things.

They use it for graphics:
http://www.gnu.org/graphics/meditate.html

And I think Richard has said the GPL is a fine licence for documentation.

They also say:

      The GNU GPL can be used for general data which is not software, as
      long as one can determine what the definition of “source code” refers
      to in the particular case.

>From here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses

And, as we all know, by "source code", they mean a "preferred form of the
work for making modifications to it".

The definition of "source code" for music is certainly unclear, but then I
wonder what someone should do if they want to allow people to link their
music into some software (such as a game).  Maybe dual-licensing GPL plus
cc-by-sa is the right thing to do?

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, +32 487 64 17 54, http://ciaran.compsoc.com

Please help build the software patents wiki: http://en.swpat.org