Re: a list of software compiled by completely free toolchain

From: Gabriel
Subject: Re: a list of software compiled by completely free toolchain
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:16:57 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 05:33:49PM +0100, Gabriel wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:44:40AM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> >    The point is that in order for people using windows to come over to
> >    use Linux it is necessary to provide this software on Windows as
> >    well, making the transition easier. Now this software should be
> >    able to be compiled using a 100% free software toolchain like
> >    MinGW, [...]
> >
> > MinGW requires Windows, so it is not 100% free software.  When using a
> > non-free software system, you can never have a 100% free tool-chain,
> > since it requies non-free software to work.
> >

> > By they way, would you like to help the GNU project sort out the
> > confusion that Linux is a operating system?  The system you are
> > calling `Linux' is one that we started writting more than 20 years,
> > and we named it GNU.  Linux is a important of many GNU variants, but
> > it is not the name of the system.  Please see
> > http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for more information.
> >

> I completely agree with you that I should call the system GNU/Linux
> and I am sorry not to have done so. And yes, the system I was talking
> about and called Linux is the system you are talking about.
>
> About MinGW requiring Windows and not being free software: It is a way
> to help people migrate from Windows to GNU. It surely is a compromise,
> but it will help compile software which is also available on GNU, so
> that if people start using open source software on Windows, they can
> later on convert to GNU using the same software.
>
> A world WITHOUT Windows is still what I would still love to see during my
> lifetime!
>
> Gabriel

The Gnu foundation itself says :"Using free software on Microsoft
Windows (or any non-free operating system) is the first step towards
freedom". That is what I mean. And you have got a list already like
the one I am talking about on:

http://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html

I am talking about such a list exactly, only extended by software
which can be compiled WITHOUT Visual C!

Greetings,

Gabriel