Re: Pee Jay says silence is golden

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Pee Jay says silence is golden
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:01:12 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote: [...]
>> The complaint you refer to elsewhere states that Erik Andersen is _a_
>> copyright holder, not _the_ copyright holder.

> The copyright registration names only Erik as author and claimant, not
> Erik et al or some such.

> Moglen himself wrote that

> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

> "If there are multiple authors of a copyrighted work, successful
> enforcement depends on having the cooperation of all authors.

> In order to make sure that all of our copyrights can meet the
> recordkeeping and other requirements of registration... "

I'm informed by no less an authority than Rjack himself that it is the
person(s) registered as the copyright holder who has the right to sue,
not the actual authors.  The other authors presumably would have standing
to challenge that copyright registration should they wish.  It's
difficult to see why they should, since Andersen, in shouldering the
burden of the lagal action, is simply seeking to enforce the license
busybox is released under, to which all the authors have assented.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).