Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:19:39 +0100

* Hyman Rosen:

> I don't understand what you mean here. The GPL purports to be a
> grant of extra rights beyond those allowed by copyright law. I
> assert that an executable program which dynamically links to
> libraries is not affected by the copyrights of those libraries,

This is a view not shared by many software companies.  If your
interpretation turns out to be correct, many companies will join the
FSF for a copyright extension.  However, the prevailing feeling right
now is that dynamic linking already creates a derivative work.

Still remember the times when the FSF was against interface
copyrights? *sigh*