Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:34:13 -0500

On 2/3/2010 3:01 PM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Hyman, I don't understand your desire to infect separate and
independeant works via static linking and at the same time your desire
to not penetrate the infection through the dynamic linking.

It has nothing to do with my desire, and everything
to do with simple facts. If you're copying and
distributing a combined work, you must have permission
from the rights holders of the components. If you're
copying and distributing a work which does not
incorporate other components, then the rights holders
of those components cannot demand that you abide by the
copyrights of those components.

The inability to separate fact from wish is one of the
hallmarks of a crank.