Re: As the GPL fades

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: As the GPL fades
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:02:02 -0500

On 2/5/2010 2:47 PM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> There was no settlement (agreement between defendant and plaintiff) in
> Verizon case you retard Hyman.

Not being privy to the negotiations, I can only look at the
external evidence. The SFLC filed a lawsuit against Verizon
for not being in compliance with the GPL. The lawsuit is
ended, and Verizon is now in compliance with the GPL. The
reasonable conclusion to draw is that the compliance came
about as the result of the suit.

Since the entire goal of such lawsuits is to compel compliance
with the GPL when GPLed code is copied and distributed, it is
also reasonable to proclaim success when compliance occurs.

> Verizon is still blatantly breaching the GPL as it can be witnessed at
> http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp

Verizon is no longer infringing the GPL.
They are now providing the sources here:
<http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=44481>
and shipping a manual and disk with their routers which
apprises users of their rights under the GPL. A copy of
the Verizon-branded and Verizon-copyrighted manual can
be read here:
<http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev._E_User_Manual_20.8.0_v3_GPL.pdf>