Re: Versa trashes the GPL as well

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Versa trashes the GPL as well
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:07:28 -0000

RJack <user@example.net> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> We'll see how much of the defendants beliefs survives in court.
>
> You betch'a. No more voluntary dismissals. That's all that real folks
> have ever asked for -- a court ruling concerning the GPL on the merits.

You won't see that this time either.  If we make it through an actual
court ruling, the outcome will be either that there was copying without
permission (which is a ruling on the merits of copyright), or that the
defendants would do better to come into compliance with any purported
license they claim to have been given, GPL or not.

Or a defendant can show that he is not in fact distributing the
software.

> So, hopefully, we'll really see.

The topic will be "copyright".  The GPL is what helps the defendants out
of the court, not what brings them into it.

So it is not likely there will be much to see.

--
David Kastrup