Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:09:27 -0000

Raffael Cavallaro writes:
> Using them would place their employer or the commercial organization
> to which they belong under the obligation of publishing all of the
> source code for any released product that included your library.

They are not required to publish it.  They are merely required to
distribute it along with the binaries.  If you offer source to everyone
to whom you sell binaries you are done.

> As a result, most people working on commercial [closed source]
> published software, or who contemplate doing so in the future, simply
> avoid gpl libraries altogether.

And that's fine, just as it is fine that some of us avoid non-free
libraries because source is not available or the terms are too
restrictive.

Nicolas writes:
> Here is a question which I find rather interesting: Is in-house use of
> GPLed software allowed?

Yes.

> But in the case of multiple developers inside a company one
> could either argue that the company operates as an entity...

It does.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com