Re: GPL misappropriation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL misappropriation
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:10:01 -0000

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> > (Intellectual Property Licensing: Forms and Analysis)
>> >
>> > "Absent an explicit grant of sublicensing rights, no right to sublicense
>> > is generally presumed.5 ... 5 Raufast SA v. Kniers Pizzazz, Ltd., 208
>> > USPQ (BNA) 699 (EDNY 1980). "
>>
>> What about "Absent an explicit grant of sublicensing rights" do you not
>> understand?
>>
>>     Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>
> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms is NOT a grant of
> sublicensing rights, you silly dak.

Redistribution is again covered by a license.  Once we are talking about
modified material, a licensing choice for the resulting work is made by
the redistributor.

Please note that your example regarding patents is utterly irrelevant,
since patents are applicable when the resulting product works using the
patented method, regardless how that came about.  In contrast, copyright
covers an actual chain of derivation.

--
David Kastrup