Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:11:13 -0000

On 3/25/2010 2:21 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Hyman Rosen<hyrosen@mail.com>  writes:

On 3/25/2010 1:49 PM, Hyman Rosen wrote:
it cannot possibly be correct under copyright law for the
rights to a work to change by the creation of a separate
work after the original work has been created!

Well, actually, let me take this part back.

What changes is not the rights to the copyrightable work (those remain
with the author), but whether it legally constitutes an integral part of
a larger whole or not.  When it can be usefully combined with different
other parts, this is definitely not the case.

No, that's not it at all. I was wrong because the author
of a license can put in any conditions he wants, so if he
wants to say that you can copy and distribute a combined
work which includes my content provided that some separate
content exists, he may do so, and then permission will
change based on that existence.

But permission to copy and distribute a library cannot
affect the right to copy and distribute a separate work
when that work does not contain the library.