Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Recommendation for a CL data structures library
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:10:59 -0000

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:

> On 3/25/2010 11:18 AM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>> Static linking is "mere aggregation" of (sub)programs with relocation
>> and symbol resolution done earlier than in the case of dynamic linking.
>
> No, static linking results in a combined work since the
> elements are chosen with intention and by design, much
> as would be the case for stories in an anthology. Mere
> aggregation corresponds to shipping a pile of books in
> one box.

It would appear that you are not familiar with the realities of dynamic
linking on UNIX-like operating systems.  Dynamically linked libraries
(we are not talking about Windows DLLs here) are carefully versioned and
tend to become incompatible with their predecessors pretty regularly.
That's why you need to compile a program using dynamic libraries with
the corresponding header versions for the API versioning.

It is a quite special case to explicitly load a shared executable (and
call its entry points) for which not particular headers were used in the
preparation of the binary.  I do not even know the library/system call
for that.

--
David Kastrup