Re: The great BusyBox fraud continues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The great BusyBox fraud continues
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:56:27 -0000

RJack <user@example.net> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Jun 4, 5:40 am, RJack <u...@example.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right.  And they won't.  This is just another IP troll attempt,
>>> this time by the Linux crowd, to extract money from corporations in
>>>  the legal arena after having failed in the marketplace.
>>
>> <URL:http://www.top500.org/stats/list/35/osfam>
>>
>> 455 systems are powered by Linux.  5 systems by Windows.
>>
>> I consider this more a sign of failure of Microsoft's "High
>> performance computing Windows" initiative.
>>
>> <URL:http://www.drdobbs.com/184404102>
>>
>> Thomas Watson, Jr, IBM's CEO, noted in a famous memo to IBM
>> employees: "Last week, Control Data ... announced the 6600 system. I
>> understand that in the laboratory developing the system there are
>> only 34 people including the janitor. Of these, 14 are engineers and
>> 4 are programmers... Contrasting this modest effort with our vast
>> development activities, I fail to understand why we have lost our
>> industry leadership position by letting someone else offer the
>> world's most powerful computer." To which Cray replied: "It seems
>> like Mr. Watson has answered his own question."
>>

> Let's be neutral and count 'em all since it's a big World:

So you are saying that CDC was a failure for not producing commodity
computers?

>                      OS Platform Statistics
> Windows XP is the most popular operating system. The Windows family
> counts for almost 90%:
>
> 2010       Win7      Vista     Win2003  WinXP  W2000      Linux      Mac
> April     16.7%     13.2%     1.3%     56.1%     0.5%     4.5%     7.1%
> March     14.7%     13.7%     1.4%     57.8%     0.5%     4.5%     6.9%
> Feb       13.0%     14.4%     1.4%     58.4%     0.6%     4.6%     7.1%
> Jan       11.3%     15.4%     1.4%     59.4%     0.6%     4.6%     6.8

> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Actually, this will likely not take into account browsers masking
themselves as Internet Explorer in order not to get fed hogwash (at some
point of time, microsoft.com actually returned special rubbish code for
browsers identifying themselves as "Opera", designed to look like a
rendering error, whereas the code returned for "Internet Explorer"
rendered just fine on Opera).

Anyway, "after having failed in the marketplace" insinuates that the
story is over.  I don't see that...  It is just starting to get
interesting, actually.

--
David Kastrup