NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 4 August 2010 NYCBUG: Ivan Ivanov on Examples in Cr

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 4 August 2010 NYCBUG: Ivan Ivanov on Examples in Cryptography with OpenSSL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:57:18 -0000

  what="official NYC*BUG announcement"
  edits="">

 Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 10:12:02 -0400
 To: announce@lists.nycbug.org
 From: NYC*BUG Announcements <announce@lists.nycbug.org>
 Subject: [announce] NYC*BUG: Tonight Meeting and Upcoming

 * Tonight's meeting is Ivan Ivanov on "Examples in Cryptography with
 OpenSSL"

 * NYCBSDCon meeting

 * BSD Certification Group Board of Directors elections

 *      *       *       *       *       *

 August 04, 2010
 Ivan Ivanov on Examples in Cryptography with OpenSSL

 6:45 pm, Suspenders Restaurant, 111 Broadway in Manhattan

 OpenSSL is an ubiquitious SSL/TLS implementation and cryptography
 toolkit. It is widely used to manipulate keys and certificates for
 servers and clients and there are a lot of tutorials on how to use it
 from the command line.

 This presentation attempts to go deeper into OpenSSL`s library and give
 an overview of its API. It will show how to programmatically calculate
 one-way hashes, perform symmetric and asymmetric encryption and create
 and verify message authentication codes and digital signatures. The
 concrete examples will include DES and AES ciphers, RSA and DSA
 encryption and decryption, Diffie-Hellman key exchange and a simple
 SSL-enabled application. Some particular algorithms can also be
 described in more details along with their mathematical properties if
 time permits but the presentation will be mostly example-driven.

 Ivan Ivanov is a software developer currently based in New York. His
 interest in cryptography comes from his mathematical education. In his
 professional work he has developed encryption and decryption routines
 for protecting data transmission over the network.

 September 1st meeting will be Bruno Scap on "Building Email Infrastructure."

 *      *       *       *       *       *

 NYCBSDCon Organizing Meeting

 Monday, August 23, Suspenders at 111 Broadway

 We'll be holding another organizing meeting for the November conference.

 Agenda includes the following:

 CFP submissions, sponsors and registration

 We encourage all interested in taking part to attend and join the
 NYCBSDCon mailing list at http://lists.nycbug.org

 We are proud that the organizing for our conference is way beyond a
 handful of individuals.  About a dozen people showed up at the last
 meeting, and we decided on a number of issues, including the schedule,
 organizing the 'birds of a feather' sessions, publicity, etc.  Nothing
 makes a better conference than having a strong fraction of the attendees
 involved in the actual organizing.

 If you have any questions, contact info at nycbsdcon dot org.

 *      *       *       *       *       *

 The BSD Certification Group is holding a Board of Directors election.

 The neutral election organizer is James Lane.

 Here's his announcement:

 "The nominees for the two open one-year positions on the BSDCert Board
 of Directors are:

        Jim Brown
        Michael Dexter
        Dru Lavigne
        Phil Nelson

 According to the Bylaws, the next step in the process is an open
 discussion of the election and the nominees by the general membership.

 This discussion will open as of Monday, August 2, 2010, and will remain
 open for two weeks. The last day of the discussion will be Monday,
 August 23.

 Each of the nominees is invited to post information about their general
 background, their involvement with BSD and with BSDCert, and what they
 would like the BSDCert group to accomplish over the next year.

 The next step in the election process is the election itself."

 Also, note that we'll be holding two BSDA certification exams at
 NYCBSDCon on November 13th and 14th, probably during the lunch sessions.

 Get your BSD Certification identification number here:

 https://register.bsdcertification.org//register/get-a-bsdcg-id

 And sign up for the exam here:

 https://register.bsdcertification.org//register/register-for-an-exam