Oracle lawsuit a bad thing?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Oracle lawsuit a bad thing?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:00:55 -0000

I think the Oracle lawsuit is great (although their methods of attack
with patents are a bit scary).

The situation looks almost the same to me as Microsofts incompatible
virtual machine. (A basic embrace and extend in the sense that they
capitalize on the massive amounts of Java-developers, then lock the
code to Android and not a Java-standard profile).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_(software)

It would perhaps have been better if Google had respected the "Write
Once Run Anywhere"-mantra and did their own language and API, like
Microsoft did with C# or  a language like Lua, Python etc.

Also, for a platform like Java i feel better about the more protective
GPL-licence than the Apache 2 license.

What's your impression of the situasjon?