Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:02:40 -0000

In article <4CA70447.847FD5B3@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Tim Smith wrote:
> [...]
> > Digital music, computers, and the internet have changed that. First of
> > all, copying is fast and easy.
>
> Since shoplifting in a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarket is
> certainly faster and easier than stealing in the pre-supermarket era,
> why not go 'total communist' and make food and household merchandise
> free as well?

Last time I checked, food and household merchandise have the necessary
attributes that allows a free market to give economically correct
resource allocation, and so have not had to rely on an artificial
infusion of those attributes combined with a societal agreement that we
will pretend that these attributes are real, and so with food and
household goods you do not have the case that you have something with a
marginal cost of zero relying almost completely on people being nice for
it to work.

--
--Tim Smith