Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:02:43 -0000

In gnu.misc.discuss Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> In gnu.misc.discuss Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>>> Can you suggest a third alternative (that is economically sound)?

>> How about approach 2A: allow free copying of music and films, but
>> instead of paying artists out of taxes, they get paid by a levy on
>> high speed internet lines.  A levy of, say $50 a year, or $100 a year
>> could provide

> And you determine the amount do you? Streuth.

No, you lump of foul-mouthed egregiousness, it gets determined by the
normal political process.  It's not exactly a new idea.

> If people want it they buy it.

People want to download music and films, and then listen and watch them
without hassle.  That's currently not possible.

> And what about copies NOT done over the net and so are not
> measured?!?!?

Individual copies would not be "measured", indeed would not need to be
measured.

> You're insane man.

That summarizes the quality of your posting quite nicely.

>> handsome income to musicians and film-makers.  There are obviously

> Whats "handsome" by your standards?

>> difficult practical issues to sort out, but given how badly copyright
>> now

> Yeah, like making it even remotely fair.

How about you telling us how you'd make copyright fair?

>> misworks the levy would probably work better.

> And yet you have ZERO to base that ludicrous claim on.

You think so?  You "know" this, without even asking me?  The fact is,
similar levies have worked well in the past, and they could work probably
better than the current system now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).