Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:02:59 -0000

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> Making private copies of material with unspecified origin is not legal
>> in Germany.
>
> Who told you that silly dak?
>
> http://bundesrecht.juris.de/urhg/__53.html
>
> "soweit nicht zur Vervielfältigung eine offensichtlich rechtswidrig..."
>
> Doesn't mean that the origin must be specified.

You probably don't get the difference to

    "soweit nicht offensichtlich zur Vervielfältigung eine rechtswidrig..."

The first (the law text you quoted) is

   "as long as there hasn't been used an obviously illegal..."

The second would be

   "as long as there hasn't obviously been used an illegal..."

I have my doubts that a court would accept a defense of "I don't need to
say where I got my original from."

--
David Kastrup