Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:03:04 -0000

Hi, Ben!

In gnu.misc.discuss Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>>> I don't download music or films (legally or illegally).  Why should I
>>> pay such a fee?

>> To support your country's musicians and film makers.

> I write free software in my spare time.  Why not require ISP users to
> pay a fee to support me, too?  It wouldn't have to be a lot of money
> per person, as long as everyone with an Internet connection was
> required to pay me.

Hey, I write free software too.  :-)  I also don't download music or
films (apart from very occasionally non-copyright recordings).

Why shouldn't we get a bit from an Internet fee?  Probably because the
system would be swiftly subverted by some firm like Oracle or Microsoft,
and we'd all end up paying them.  Maybe.  I do think your question is a
genuine one, not just a rhetorical one.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).