Re: Sharing the GPL source code, with value addition by vendor specific

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Sharing the GPL source code, with value addition by vendor specific to his hardware?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:03:32 -0000

Hi, Saliya,

Saliya <saliya@iwavesystems.com> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: US-ASCII, 38 lines --]

> Hello,

> I write this email to get an answer for the question "Can the vendor
> charge for the GPL source code, for his value addition to the source
> code?"

Yes he may, providing he also makes it freely available under the terms
of the GPL.

> In one such case, there is a vendor, who has done value addition to the
> GPL source code to make the GPL code work on his hardware platform. He
> claims to have invested huge effort to make the GPL source code to work
> on his platform. So he wants to charge for the source code separately.

Separately from what?  He must make the source code freely available
under the terms of the GPL.  If he does this, he may also offer anything
he wishes at whatever charge his customers are willing to pay.

I'm mighty curious as to who this vendor might be.  Larger companies
generally understand the GPL perfectly well.

> According to the GPL policy, is any vendor allowed to charge for the
> source code for his device specific value addition? Or is he required
> to keep his value addition as open source?

Yes, to both questions.

> I will be more delighted to answer any queries in this regard. I
> appreciate earnest answers and thank in advance.

> With Best Regards, Saliya

The same to you, too.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).