Re: Stuttgart 21 protests

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stuttgart 21 protests
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:04:03 -0000

Hi Alex,

Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> [...]
>> Tell me, oh wise one, where are the platforms at which the 426
>> Nahverkehrszuege will arrive and depart?  Might it possibly be that they

> Nahverkehr

> http://www.stgt.com/stuttgart/vvslind.htm

That's a diagram of Stadtbahn (tram) and S-Bahn services in and around
Stuttgart.  It doesn't include "Nahverkehr" in the sense of the DB trains
of a lower category than ICs.  "Nahverkehr" trains are like those between
Stuttgart Hbf and Singen, passing through Boeblingen on the way.

> has absolutely nothing to do with reduction to 8 platforms, silly.

I think you're confused here about what a "Nahverkehrszug" is.  It's a
mainline train which needs platform space, yet isn't an S-Bahn.  It
carries a label such as "RB" or "RE".  I suspect a lot of councillors who
voted for this scheme were suffering the same confusion.  I agree, 160
trains a day would fit comfortably into an 8 platform station.  600
trains won't.

I don't think you travel by train very much, somehow.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).