Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Zoolook
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:03:24 -0000

On 05/10/2010 07:41, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
In gnu.misc.discuss Ben Pfaff<blp@cs.stanford.edu>  wrote:
I don't download music or films (legally or illegally).  Why
should I pay such a fee?

To support your country's musicians and film makers.  It might seem a bit
(or even a lot) unfair, but it's not all that much money.  Would you
rather that general taxes be used to support them (as others have
suggested), or that the current "system" continue as it is?

Isn't the right way to support the artists to BUY it... thats like saying anyone who lives in (for example) China, should pay a fee to (for example) the furniture industry (which China are a pretty major player) even if they live in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the same table and chairs for the last 20 years!

Its a totally ridiculous way to fund an industry!

If you're not downloading music or films, do you really need a high
capacity net link?  Wouldn't a thinner connection do?

Ever tried to stream a FREE AND TOTALLY LEGAL YouTube clip on 56k dial-up... Thought not!

--
We promptly judged antique ivory buckles for the next prize.