Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL

From: RayLopez99
Subject: Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:00:40 -0000

On Aug 20, 9:46 pm, Hyman Rosen <hyro...@mail.com> wrote:
> We see that literal copying remains infringement, but copyright
> cannot protect the idea of photographing a bottle of Skyy Vodka.
> Even though the subject is extremely narrow, this does not prevent
> the photographer from getting copyright on his specific work.

Apropos of nothing, are you familiar with the 'sweat of the brow'
doctrine, that says you cannot rebroadcast the facts of a baseball
game in progress, until a reasonable time passes?  I think if memory
serves from a law book I saw (I'm not a lawyer btw) it was from the
1940s.  Used to justify time shifting of video broadcasts as well
(1980s).

Of course you cannot copyright a functional thing like a bottle, but
the artistic expression of it...that's different.

RL