Re: license v license v /license/

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: license v license v /license/
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:18:45 +0100

Kari Laine <klaine8@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok alexander,
>
> I bite, let's discuss about the FSF. I don't know enough about it.
> I know the good software they made possible. I gather I donated some
> money to them back in (don't remember the year). Do you mean they stole
> my money to get FAT. Or what exactly is your point of GNG Site?
>
> I find sharing quite a many viewpoints of Mr. RMS . There are some witch
> I don't. And there are some opinions he has told that have hurt the Open
> Source movement - my personal opinion.
>
> But without FSF we probably wouldn't have Linux. At least it won't be
> as functional as it is today.

Hm?  Linux is just a kernel.  Granted, it has a compilation dependency
on GCC, but other than that, its development has been largely
independent of the FSF.  But it's not really much fun if you try not
running any GNU software on it.

I've seen some server that has been built in that manner: Linux, but a
BSD userland above it.  Shows that Linux works without GNU just fine.

But not my idea of the best I can get.

--
David Kastrup