Re: The future of Skype for Linux

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: The future of Skype for Linux
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:53:35 -0400

John, I stand corrected. Debian aptitude reports:

  Package: skype
  New: yes
  State: installed
  Automatically installed: no
  Version: 2.1.0.81-1
  Section: non-free/net
  Maintainer: Skype Technologies <info@skype.net>

So it is open but not free. However, there have been alternatives that
are both free and open: QuteCom (previously Wengophone), Gizmo (belongs
to Google; was Gaim), Jabin (?), Ekiga, java-based Pidgin Communicator
(Pidgin-Pidgin), jitsi (previously was SIP Communicator) and
Twinkle. This is not a complete list
(http://alternativeto.net/software/sip-communicator/?platform=linux)

Pidgin and jitsi apparently have more features than Skype, and at least
jitsi has file transfer and encryption. It is much under development,
but apparently is stable enough. For a compiled debian version:
http://download.sip-communicator.org/nightly/debian/. It is even heavier
on resources than Skype. It relies on 3rd party IM networks and
protocol, which MS might decide to lock out. It can't do phone calls
without a paid gateway or SMS messaging like Skype.

Of course, the disadvantage is that the person with whom you wish to
communicate must also have the same software installed. I don't know if
Skype and one of these alternatives can be installed simultaneously, but
I saw no warnings about doing that.

Haines