NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 20 April 2011 NYLUG: Erik Kastner and John Goulah o

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 20 April 2011 NYLUG: Erik Kastner and John Goulah of Etsy on Deployment Management
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:59:50 -0000

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:30:01 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] TOMORROW! NYLUG Presents: 4/20 @ 6:30PM Erik Kastner
and John Goulah on Deployinator: How Etsy removed the pain and fear from
deploying code

 Wednesday, April 20, 2011
 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 **REMINDER: Meeting tomorrow, RSVP Closes TOMORROW at 4:00 PM (sharp!)**
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                         Erik Kastner and John Goulah
                                    - on -
                        Deployinator: How Etsy removed
                     the pain and fear from deploying code

 As Etsy grew in traffic and engineering resources, fear crept into the
 deployment process.  At one point, code was only being deployed once every
 2 weeks; with planned outages! As of March 2010, Etsy is deploying to
 production up to 40 times a day with almost 70 engineers - all of whom can
 "push the button".  How did we get here? How do we manage it? Are we nuts??

 We will be covering:

   * Deployinator - our internal deployment application
    * Communication and coordination
    * How monitoring and dashboards enable this velocity

 More Information:

   * Measure Anything, Measure Everything

 http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2011/02/15/measure-anything-measure-everything/

   * Quantum of Deployment
     http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2010/05/20/quantum-of-deployment/

   * Tracking Every Release
     http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2010/12/08/track-every-release/

 About John Goulah:
 John Goulah has been working in New York City over the last several years
 for a number of web sites in both technical and management roles, as well
 as the co-founder of several startups.  Having spent much of his youth
 touring in rock bands and hacking from the road, he is no stranger to
 crowds, be it a smoke filled room or presenting to the company board.  He
 strives for non mundane tasks and has automated himself out of his last few
 endeavors, which has landed him in his current role as an Engineer at Etsy,
 the leading marketplace for handmade goods.

 About Erik Kastner:
 Erik Kastner has given presentations large and small, from the
 international Rails conference to informal company brown-bags.  He strives
 to find the laziest way to get things done - even if it ends up being a lot
 more work.  Automation, exploration and the simple joy of building underpin
 just about everything he does.  Other than a couple of strange and
 dream-filled years in San Francisco, Erik has lived in New Jersey his whole
 life.  He works at Etsy in Brooklyn hand-crafting code, arts and tools.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at House of Brews
   (302 West 51st St. - 8th Ave), but we are also evaluating other
   options for the future and welcome your suggestions.

   http://www.houseofbrewsny.com/
   Directions from IBM: http://goo.gl/VUdO1

 Coding Workshops/Hacking Society:
   This is a group of people that wants to learn about and work on coding
   in Python, Smalltalk, Ruby, C++, LaTeX, and other languages, and hack on
code.
   There will also be help given for those who wish to install Linux for the
   first time.
   Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

   Bring something to show off and discuss!

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are March 29, and April 12.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.