Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:50:34 +0200

Ivan Shmakov wrote:

[... fixating GPL'd work in a copy in a 'binary' form ...]

>         conditions (such as: a binary made from a modified source
>         without that source being made available) -- it's an infringing

Who told you that nonsense?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

"Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to
the public?

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any
part of it."

The GPL purports to restrict the statutory right (17 USC 109) to
distribute:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary

"I downloaded just the binary from the net. If I distribute copies, do I
have to get the source and distribute that too?

Yes. The general rule is, if you distribute binaries, you must
distribute the complete corresponding source code too."