NYC LOCAL: Friday and Saturday 8 and 9 November 2013: NYC Aaron Swartz H

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Friday and Saturday 8 and 9 November 2013: NYC Aaron Swartz Hackathon
Date: 8 Nov 2013 19:03:03 -0500

  what="official announcement"
  edits="">

 Subject: NYC Aaron Swartz Hackathon

                            NYC Aaron Swartz Hackathon

             18:00 Friday, November 8 - 20:00 Saturday, November 9

                630 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn. Register (optional)

    [rip-aaron.jpg]

    Inspired by the work he did and the people he touched, we are
    organizing recurring hackathons at locations all over the world in
    memory of Aaron Swartz. The next set will be synchronized on the
    weekend of November 8-10, 2013. The event will bring together the
    varied communities that Aaron touched to figure out how the important
    problems of the world connect, and to share the load of working on
    those problems.

                                  The NYC Event

    We will host the event 18:00 Friday to 20:00 Saturday at the Pfizer
    building at 630 Flushing Ave in Brooklyn:

    IFRAME:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/export/embed.html?bbox=-73.9500367641449%2
    C40.69835644998913%2C-73.94848108291626%2C40.70076409998723&layer=mapni
    k&marker=40.699560285865815%2C-73.94925892353058

    View Larger Map The entrance to the building is on Tompkins Ave,
    through a parking lot and under a tattered blue awning. Once inside,
    there will be signage to orient you to the hackathon location. Call rmo
    at +16072795957 if you're having trouble finding us.

    We will meet Friday evening with a book scanner, an internet archivist,
    and more. After a short unconference and live-streaming of the SF
    reception, we will get to work through Saturday.

 Schedule

    Friday will be dedicated to the exploration and examination of the NYC
    groups Aaron has touched. A few curated talks will lead the evening,
    with lots of time for breakout sessions for more in-depth examination
    of projects and communities. Please mail
    nyc-org@aaronswartzhackathon.org if you would like to present on
    Friday.
   Friday 8 November
   18h - hackathon begins
   19h - jason scott kicks off an open unconference/discussion to orient work &
 igure out projects
   22.30h - livestream sf event

   [the building is open 24hrs -- rmo will stay overnight if people want to keep
 hacking]

   Saturday 9 November
   18h - project demonstrations
   20h - fin

 Projects

    Projects for all locations are listed on the Noisebridge wiki. We are
    still organizing projects for NYC.
      * Have a project you'd like to see listed? Fork the code for the page
        or email nyc-org@aaronswartzhackathon.org.

 Attending

    If you'd like to attend (and we hope you do), you can of course just
    show up. To be in the loop for updates and with other attendees, please
    send a listserv request to the NYC Mailing list. If you'd like to give
    a talk, lead a session, be a community lead, or host a project, please
    send a 150 x 150 pixel image and a tweet-sized summary to
    nyc-org@aaronswartzhackathon.org to be listed on this page, or fork the
    git and do so for yourself.

 Other Logistics

    Bring some money for food and coffee. There are places nearby to eat.
    If you'd like to foot the bill for a meal or snacks, anonymously or
    otherwise, please email nyc-org@aaronswartzhackathon.org Laptops are
    encouraged for for whom that is their tool. Pens, paper, soldering
    irons, knitting needles, and other bits are all highly encouraged.
    We'll have power to plug yourselves into and wireless. We want people
    who express themselves through code, through art, through words,
    through anything at all. We want to hear your voice, and to add it to
    the chorus. Our tag will be #AaronSwNYC

    Contact rmo by mail or phone (+16072795957) if you have any questions.

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org