Snackis - towards a secure & distributed social network

From: Andreas Wild
Subject: Snackis - towards a secure & distributed social network
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 07:08:17 +0200

Hi all,
I had a kind of epiphany some time back, around the same time that I quit Facebook for the second time in disgust. The general idea is implement an open, distributed and secure alternative to some of the services that FB offers; without getting caught in the trap of replicating the existing mess but different for profit. Distributed as in no data on the server, plain old email is used as transport. And secure as in all data encrypted (using libsodium) and stored locally. I haven't had much luck in finding people who are motivated enough yet, but then I remembered a talk by RMS that I went to back in the days and how it helped get me started down this path. The software is implemented in C++ with a GTK+ UI and comes licensed under GPLv3, you may find it here:

https://github.com/andreas-gone-wild/snackis

Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas, or if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

Be well,
Andreas