Re: “Keyservers are actually useless these days and I wish they could go

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: “Keyservers are actually useless these days and I wish they could go away”
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 14:44:55 +0300

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
> Keyservers are actually useless these days and I wish they could go away.

An advocate of the ‘Web of Trust’ hardly agrees with that.  I am not the one,
however I’m really intrigued — what do you suggest to use instead.

> Looking up key at a keyserver does not give you any indication that the key
> belongs to the claimed mail address.

But they was never intended to do so, was they?  They are mean to reliably
_publish_ your key, and they have been doing their job fairly well, as far as I
can tell.  What might the substitute?  Bittorrent?  Blockchain?

> A validating key server tries to fix this by claiming authority to check the
> mail.

That’s an interesting sociotechnical task, but the topical issue is not about
verifying vs non-verifying.

I believe, nobody opposes to running a proprietary service for distributing
keys, verifying or not, gratis or paid (yes, why not?).  Setting it as a
default is what I see as a dubious act.

Moreover, I suppose, few would have anything against a default server that also
optionally performs an email / SIP / GNU Social / whatever check, as long it’s
not a walled garden like keys.opengpg.org, that is detached from the de-facto
standard network (that was SKS) and therefore breaks seamless compatibility
between various GPG frontends and GPG-compatible clients.

Actually, if I am not mistaken, before the SKS-based WoT practically went out
of operation after the DoS-attack, doing that did not require any changes
neither in SKS, nor in GPG: a server could check the email and sign a key, and
a frontend check its signature — that’s all.  Or am I mistaken?

> However, this gets us back into the X.509 centralized world.

But that does not, so long as no one is forbidden to run yet another verifier,
connected to the common WoT.