Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:20:43 +0530

* DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> [2019-10-22 23:39]:
> > and whoever is loyal to free software philosophy as envisioned
> > by Dr. Richard Stallman,
>
> A constitution would describe this philosophy, though.  How do we
> otherwise follow what is only in one person's mind, if not by writing it
> down to share?

Constitution sounds like formation of legal entity.

Legal entity like FSF already exists. Its constitution is not well
written yet FSF is working well on the goals of the free software
philosophy. Basically FSF is doing it according to the free software
philosophy even if the constitution, known as Articles of
Incorporation are not aligned with the free software philosophy.

Legal entities are authorized by governments.

GNU project is way beyond one government like USA, it has planetary
impact.

Legal entities can be attacked and sued, even destroyed or bankrupted.

But philosophy such as free software philosophy, one may attack, but
cannot destroy it.

In that regards, I would just ensure that GNU.ORG domain remains
maintained for next 100 years, and true to its ideals, and that can be
done with some attorneys who can take care of it for the future.

In that sense the free software philosophy and idea of making free
software system exists without being impacted by any government
(hopefully) and can spread further just as it has spread until now.

Jean