Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 12:51:35 -0400

   On Wed, 2019-10-23 at 15:12 -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
   >    I agree.  I think in practice many (most?) maintainers not only agree to
   >    uphold the free software values, but also share them.
   >
   > In practise, we cannot know -- making the assumption is dangerous.  It
   > also excludes people who still wish to contribute to the GNU project
   > but have a different set of values.

   Which is precisely why we are having this discussion.

The GNU project is not a porject that is suitable for a bottom-up
organization -- its mission, and only mission, is to see that the GNU
system is and keeps being free software.  This has been explained
ample of times.

   How can we be sure and how can we support both those who do agree
   to uphold our values, by assigning roles and delegating
   responsibilities, and those who just want to contribute.

It has worked for 30 years, so there is no reason to doubt it will not
work for 30 years more.

   > In either case, discussions about governance should be taken with
   > RMS, and not here.

   I also sent my suggestions to rms. But this is a public discussion we
   should have with all stakeholders.

RMS is the head of the project, and as such he is really the only
stakeholder, so dicussions relating to the project are better be taken
with him.

   Not just with rms or just with the FSF appointed GNU maintainers
   and steering committees.

The GNU project appoints GNU maintainers.