Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 22:28:04 +0100

Hi Alfred,

ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt) skribis:

> What GNU maintainers agree to is very small, it is only to follow the
> policies that we have.  They don't need to go beyond that, which is
> what "uphold" would imply.

Exactly, that’s the change we’re proposing: members of the project
(maintainers and contributors alike who want to formalize their
affiliation with the project) would “sign” the social contract, meaning
that they commit to upholding the values defined therein.

As you note, this would be “stronger” than the current situation where
maintainers are not expected do be willing to defend the project’s
values.

Thanks,
Ludo’.