Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 17:43:21 +0530

* Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> [2019-10-22 12:42]:
> Appointment has always worked.  It is a volunteer organization, so your
> choices are usually thin.  If a project is of interest, them RMS can
> appoint someone, as he does now.  And when he wants to step down he can
> appoint someone to take over his roles, although I doubt you will ever
> find someone who is willing to do as much as RMS or could keep the
> project on course.  It is a benevoltent dictatorship, not the French
> Revolution.

I understand that.

GNU Project is not government so that its political system shall be
described as benevolent dictatorship or revolutionary.

GNU project started as private project, just like many other projects
start, and so it influenced society throughout the time and many other
people joined with their contributions.

It is already supervised hierarchically by many people.

Yet majority of people did not create the free software philosophy.

Thus the "organization" of GNU project shall consist of few managers
who shall be absolutely loyal to free software philosophy as written
by Dr. Richard Stallman.

They would need to be impeccable just as Dr. Richard Stallman and
never introduce any other politics or deviations into the GNU Project.

For example, they shall not use mobile tracking devices known as
phones, if such phones have proprietary chips or software.

They shall not use proprietary javascript. That is one example.

They shall clearly know the difference between "free software" and
"open source".

And such people shall be making and organizing free software
speeches. Handbooks could be distributed to volunteers all over the
world with presentations and supporting files and fliers so that free
software speeches can take place simultaneously all over the planet.

--
Thanks,
Jean Louis