Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 19:03:40 +0100

Jean Louis, le lun. 28 oct. 2019 21:54:00 +0530, a ecrit:
> Now you say it did not start, nobody started talking about "social
> contract" on this list. Huahahahhahahaha. How contradictory is that!

You are the one looking for contradictions.

I didn't say there wasn't discussion about a "social contract".

I said that the discussion didn't say it would *have* to be called this
way ; the discussion just happened to use that word to designate what
was being discused, that's all. It doesn't mean it has to be called
that way, one just need a name for the discussion, think of it like a
programming variable name.  Ditto for the rest.

If you *want* to find bad will, you will find it for sure, and I guess
there is no way to persuade you otherwise, if even when we try to adjust
what we wanted to say, you refuse to hear it, and talk about agendas.

> I am sorry, that is what I feel.

I'm sorry for you then, that you have an overreactive perception.

> I can say, there is one fact: RMS did not do anything illegal.

I didn't mean any such kind of thing. I completely agree he didn't
deserve the huge shitstorm that he received, with the media completely
misquoting him to the point of diffamation etc.

> Is it abort() joke?

For instance, yes.

> abort() joke is a joke, it has nothing really with welcoming or not
> welcoming.

It *definitely* has. Do discuss with women about the "jokes" they hear
at school, in work places etc. The fact that most GNU people would laugh
at some jokes doesn't change the fact that they can make some people not
at ease, thus leaving them out. Here not only from being GNU developers,
but also from being users reading the glibc manual, thus defeating the
very goal of GNU.

> I have no idea what benefit you or anybody else is getting

Raising the concerns, so they can be discussed.

Seriouly, I have way too many things to handle in my life to even
imagine about "taking over" GNU...

I was considering answerng some other parts of your mails, but you just
discouraged me by mail overflow.

Samuel