Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 00:15:18 +0530

Hey Samuel,

Keep sending, you are welcome.

* Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@gnu.org> [2019-10-28 23:34]:
> Jean Louis, le lun. 28 oct. 2019 21:54:00 +0530, a ecrit:
> > Now you say it did not start, nobody started talking about social
> > contract on this list. Huahahahhahahaha. How contradictory is that!
>
> You are the one looking for contradictions.
>
> I didn't say there wasn't discussion about a social contract.

Alright, but who said what, I did not, you did, did not, that is less
important.

Thank you, I am getting you, please excuse some ignorance pieces on my
side, it is not meant in bad manner, I just skip it.

> > I can say, there is one fact: RMS did not do anything illegal.
>
> I didn't mean any such kind of thing. I completely agree he didn't
> deserve the huge shitstorm that he received, with the media completely
> misquoting him to the point of diffamation etc.
>
> > Is it abort() joke?
>
> For instance, yes.

It's a joke. It did not diminish GNU Project. It is not a fact. I
asked you for facts to prove your statement "that Stallman’s behavior
over the years has undermined a core value of the GNU project: the
empowerment of all computer users. GNU is not fulfilling its mission
when the behavior of its leader alienates a large part of those we
want to reach out to." -- I am sooooo sorry, but I cannot see how "GNU
is not fulfilling its mission" due to abort() joke.

> > abort() joke is a joke, it has nothing really with welcoming or not
> > welcoming.
>
> It *definitely* has. Do discuss with women about the jokes they hear
> at school, in work places etc. The fact that most GNU people would laugh
> at some jokes doesn't change the fact that they can make some people not
> at ease, thus leaving them out. Here not only from being GNU developers,
> but also from being users reading the glibc manual, thus defeating the
> very goal of GNU.

My dear Samuel. Are you trying to make everybody satisfied with a
politically correct jokes?

Only God, would that person exist in its theoretically perfect form,
could maybe create people where everybody and each one of them is same
and is laughing or not laughing in same manner to jokes.

I am sorry Samuel, I don't find your points valid to justify that
abort() joke "over the years has undermined a core value of the GNU
project: the empowerment of all computer users" -- and I really wonder
if there is maybe some misunderstanding, as I am obviously not native
English speaker, maybe you are also not.

You are speaking about who laughs and that some people don't laugh.

Yes. True. But you cannot make one single joke in the world to make
everybody laugh. Don't you undersand that?

There is nothing in this world that can make everybody in the same
time happy. Even if you would give one million dollars to everybody,
there would be people complaining.

Fact shall be statement or assertion of verified information.

That somebody laughed and somebody did not laugh about whatever jokes,
is NOT A FACT that "Stallman over the years has undermined a core
value of the GNU project: the empowerment of all computer users".

The nature of jokes is to pick on certain class of people.

Sorry Samuel, you are doing more harm than good.

That type of Social Justice Warriors already destroyed comics and
science fiction communities and even movies, where they "demand
politically correct roles" -- you are abusing the art, and freedom of
expression.

For haven's sake, just don't watch, read, don't laugh, but don't imply
one shall abort(jokes) when those are "jokes".

Please verify definition of the word "joke". It is something that
intends to provoke laughter. Not everybody will laugh. Not every joke
is good for everybody, we all know that.

Is that reason to put your signature to defame Richard Stallman? A
joke?

Then your own activity becomes joke. You appear not serious.

>From Wordnet: (my Emacs is doing wonders)

* Overview of noun joke

The noun joke has 4 senses (first 3 from tagged texts)
1. (10) joke, gag, laugh, jest, jape -- (a humorous anecdote or remark intended
to provoke laughter; "he told a very funny joke"; "he knows a million gags";
"thanks for the laugh"; "he laughed unpleasantly at his own jest"; "even a
schoolboy's jape is supposed to have some ascertainable point")
2. (1) jest, joke, jocularity -- (activity characterized by good humor)
3. (1) antic, joke, prank, trick, caper, put-on -- (a ludicrous or grotesque
act done for fun and amusement)
4. joke -- (a triviality not to be taken seriously; "I regarded his campaign
for mayor as a joke")

Samuel, did you read 1984? Did you watch it?

Do you value freedom of expression?

If you are French, don't you know that jokes are protected free
speech in European Union?

abort() joke:
=============
Proposed Federal censorship regulations may prohibit us from giving
you information about the possibility of calling this function. We
would be required to say that this is not an acceptable way of
terminating a program.

hahahahahha Samuel, you are going way too hard after the person who
founded GNU project, all for that joke above?

cccc <-- this is expression in my language, I don't know how to say it
in English. It is sound made by tongue mostly similar to "ts". It
signifies disapproval of pathetical events.

> Seriouly, I have way too many things to handle in my life to even
> imagine about taking over GNU...
>
> I was considering answerng some other parts of your mails, but you just
> discouraged me by mail overflow.

I am sorry Samuel, I did not want to give you overflow. I think what
happened is that I have answered some emails one by one, and that
mailing list maybe released them all in one time. I can see in the
archive it is all in one minute, which was impossible.

Look Samuel, I am myself entertainer for long time, even since I was
14, I was performing in front of people and still do. Some jokes never
worked, some jokes were invented during the time, they came out of
experience and interaction with people, also known as audience
participation. Those are best jokes and situations. All of those jokes
are picking somehow on somebody, in a slight manner. Really nothing so
bad to get offended.

abort() joke about Federal censorship is really not a bad joke. If you
wish to do something against abortion, to defame and slander RMS is
last thing that you should do. It is counter productive.

How about those jokes about man? Would you defame, slander, step on
woman making jokes about man? There are many such.

Men are like…..Bananas.
The older they get, the less firm they are.

Come on Samuel, imagine... I think France is full of jokes of all
kinds.

What about:

What do you call a man that lost all of his intelligence?
A widow.

Do you see?

How can you tell if a man is lying?
You can see his lips moving.

Why did God create man first?
Because he needed a rough working model before creating the perfect
specimen of the species.

Why do men like smart women?
Opposites attract.

There is class of "morbid" jokes, and glibc abort() joke is nothing
like that. Look: https://worstjokesever.com/abortion

Any joke can be funny with the right delivery. Except Abortion jokes,
because there is no delivery.

Some people are pro-abortion, some are contra-abortion, but abort(),
but that is really not any fact that RMS made GNU project worse, in
fact, that people laugh and that it attracts attention it only speaks
that it was really a joke. Nothing else.

Look here at all classes of jokes:
https://www.funny-jokes.com/jokes/woman_jokes.htm

Many jokes are picking on a certain class of people, that is nature of
many jokes.

Joke that you are mentioning is not a fact to defame RMS.

May I ask you kindly to remove your signature from that page?

Jean