Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 23:21:32 +0100

Jean Louis, le mar. 29 oct. 2019 00:27:51 +0530, a ecrit:
> * Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@gnu.org> [2019-10-29 00:12]:
> > Jean Louis, le lun. 28 oct. 2019 21:54:00 +0530, a ecrit:
> > > Virgin joke is a joke
> >
> > Now that I have read about it, I can definitely say that it is a
> > completely inappropriate joke.
>
> But I gave you the link, Russians are laughing, so look 26th August
> 2019 in Moscow, Russia, good reception, hear people applauding:
> https://youtu.be/yCh8EcBrptA?t=6841 hear people laughing, giggling.

I bet some people are laughing, sure. And some other might not laugh
sure, that's fine. But also others will think "OK, this show is not for
me", and leave away. And thus you'll have excluded them. Not explicitly,
sure, but that's still exclusion.

> > Sure, it'll get a lot of people laugh.  But it'll also get some
> > people not at ease / ashamed, etc., which is just in line with that
> > I wrote:
>
> You cannot use "jokes" to accommodate everybody.

Making everybody laugh is an impossible task yes. But avoiding to
alienate virgin people by avoiding to make fun _at the expense_ of them
is possible. Jokes do _not_ have to be only about bullying somebody
else. Yes, that requires tact.

> Now I am getting it, you are simply easily offended.

No, I have a thick skin. But that episode made me realize how
unwelcoming such jokes can sound to the people at stake.

> If you don't like people making jokes on "bald" subject, don't listen.

I cannot not listen, people just throw them at me. Just like a virgin
woman could get the emacs virgin joke thrown at her unexpectedly during
a conference about free software. The easiest way to avoid having to
cope with them is to just not come back ever. Don't be surprised not
to see many women in your projects if you insist on not understanding
that. Sure people can "grow up" and get a thick skin. But it's way
easier to just contribute to something else, possibly not-that-free
software. And then you have excluded them.

Samuel