GNU project _does_ discriminate contributors by classes (was: A GNU “soc

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: GNU project _does_ discriminate contributors by classes (was: A GNU “social contract”?)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 17:43:05 +0300

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> GNU project does not discriminate by gender, or other classes, neither
> verifies genders of contributors, or their classes, as everybody is welcome
> to contribute

To the best of my knowledge, thatʼs completely untrue: major GNU subprojects do
discriminate contributors by classes: if a contributor-to-be happens to be an
employee, FSF does not trust his words about origin of his contribution, he has
to bring a reference from his employer.

Speaking frankly, even if we put aside how time-consuming it may be, itʼs hard
for me to imagine what can be more degrading and thus ‘alienating’ to someone,
than a straightaway demand to prove that he is not a liar.

Thatʼs why I have mixed feeling about @ludo@gnu.orgʼs proposal to introduce
“welcomes contributions from all and everyone” in GNU.  On the one hand, words
sound extremely promising.  On the other hand, actions taken so far do not
suggest that anyone is really going to put an end to discrimination here,
@mark@klomp.orgʼs “next generation of GNU leaders” seems to be far more
concerned with fighting jokes.