Re: GNU project _does_ discriminate contributors by classes (was: A GNU

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: GNU project _does_ discriminate contributors by classes (was: A GNU “social contract”?)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 18:01:21 -0700

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 17:43 +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> if a contributor-to-be happens to be an employee

I believe this to be a mischaracterization of the situation.

This is related to the copyright assignment mentioned earlier. As an
example, some have employment contracts with wording to the effect
that "anything you ever do anywhere ever always belongs to us no
matter what." People with such employment contracts aren't able to
assign the copyright for their work because it was never theirs to
begin with and the employer needs to do so. The information at [0]
mentions this that "we ***may*** also need an employer’s
disclaimer..." because it is not required for all situations of all
people with employers (with your "if a contributor-to-be happens to be
an employee" statement.) I did not have to get one, for example, even
though I am employed because I am not in such a situation.

[0] https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html