Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)

From: wayne, steve
Subject: Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 22:04:37 -0500

Long time listener, first time caller.

Ruben, for what it's worth your frothy-at-the-mouth email filled with tropes of male nerd chauvinism probably isn't a great argument against "this community is filled with reasons for women not to get involved". That kind of angry rhetoric is more likely to burn bridges than build them. Just sayin.

I don't know this RMS fellow, but everything I have seen put out by him publicly demonstrates that he lacks a certain kind of social awareness and inner filter that keep most public figures from self owning (really? defending child pornography publicly??) or saying things that can easily damage an organization's reputation. I can recognize this because I suffer from a similar lack of social awareness and in lieu of filters I tend to avoid talking at all, often for days at a time.

That being said, I'm not a supporter of GNU. I'm only attached to this mail list because I'm generally lazy about unsubscribing myself from mailing lists. I'll probably mute this thread after hitting "send" so you would be wasting invective for my sake but if it makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:24 PM Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
On 10/30/19 7:22 PM, Sandra Loosemore wrote:

> And then there were RMS's disgusting public comments defending sexual
> exploitation of minors,

There was nothing disgusting about it and he absolutely 100% wasn't
defending sexual exploitation of minors.  It is not even near to what he
said.

> OTOH, it's clear to me that some women have indeed felt threatened by
RMS's behavior,

It is not clear at all.  It is clear to me that you've made a completely
irrational leap in logic which is not supportive by the facts.

It is clear to me that such a hysterical and irresponsible statement by
you is a lynch mob modality that has NO PLACE in a just society, let
alone at the FSF or GNU.

***You owe RSM and all of us an apology right now***

Your email was offensive and disgusting.  Your right about one thing,
this has became a civil rights issue.  You have falsely accused RMS in
public of misdeeds that he never did, and saying things he not once ever
said or intended.

To me, you have put a black eye and your own name and make me seriously
question your moral character, and not because you have an opinion, but
because you made an outright false allegation and misrepresented the facts.

And for the record, whether more women enter the IT and Math fields or
not, it will not happen on the backs of the righteous largely male
community that has carried the ball up until now.  These white men are
not guilty of anything, especially a saint of human being like Richard
Stallman who has fought for women's rights and paved the way for
opportunities of all groups without prejudice and supporting blind justice.

Richard has lived in my house for months and I know him intimately,
sharing my Kosher kitchen, living room,  phone, food and company and
many installfests.  We have had lots of women, not a few, at meetings
with him.  He has been received warmly by everyone, until the discussion
of Free Software has come up and you end up on the wrong side of an IP
issue with him.  He has even spent considerable time with my children.
We are nearly family.  What you are saying is outright slander.

I recognize no moral grounds that you stand on, and your work with
binutils does nothing to prop up your misdeed in this matter.

Ruben Safir

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com