Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 15:00:15 -0400

   IMO, to regain control of our public image, I think we have to take some
   explicit and public steps to disassociate the GNU project from RMS's
   comments.

RMS's comments are unrelated to the GNU project and everyone in the
GNU project is be allowed to their personal opinions, that you are
promulgating a lie of what RMS never said doesn't help.

   My perspective is that the GNU project's mission is to produce
   high-quality software that is free for everyone to use, and we should
   welcome contributions from anyone who wants to support that mission.  We
   certainly should not make affirming support for RMS's
   non-free-software-related beliefs necessary for people to contribute to
   the GNU project, or to take a GNU maintainer/leadership role.  Nor
   should there be any kind of personal loyalty oath to RMS involved in
   being a GNU contributor or maintainer.

What is being suggested sadly, is the opposite -- that people have to
take a loyalty pledge to contribute or become maintainers.