Re: to what extent is the gnu project philosophical?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: to what extent is the gnu project philosophical?
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 20:44:06 +0100

Hi Andy,

On Wed, 2019-10-30 at 22:17 +0100, Andy Wingo wrote:
> So my question is: is GNU fundamentally about producing coherent,
> empowering free software systems, or is it fundamentally about
> developing and propagating an inspiring, liberatory philosophy?

I think it is both. There is no reason the GNU project cannot have a
philosophy project. As you note it kind of has already, it is under:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
Volunteers could write articles about Free Software and the GNU
Philosophy project would publish them there.

I think the more fundamental issue you spotted is that some of what are
called Philosophy articles are actually (partial) policy documents. So
I think the question is more, which article is what, policy or
philosophy? And should they be maintained in the same manner?

Cheers,

Mark