Re: to what extent is the gnu project philosophical?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: to what extent is the gnu project philosophical?
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 03:31:15 +0530

* Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> [2019-11-02 02:09]:
> Hello Andy,
>
> while I am not very happy about your military analogy, my first reaction
> was that indeed, the FSF is there for the philosophy, and GNU for the
> practical realisation. But then I think things are not as easy as
> that.

Also think about the below viewpoints:

- RMS is for philosophy. There are other contributors to free software
  philosophy, while many articles are not easily accessible on the GNU
  website.

- GNU is practical implementation, it is free operating system.

- FSF shall ensure that free software philosophy is not modified or
  changed throughout the time and disseminate it and campaign in
  society.

> My impression is that the FSF should be responsible for the free software
> campaigning part, including also campaigns against DRM and so on. That
> includes a lot of what Richard Stallman has been doing over the last years,
> outreach at talks, writings and so on, and which are currently hosted
> on the GNU website. For instance, assuming the need arises for a GPLv4,
> I would rather have it elaborated at the FSF than at GNU.

Maybe you think of the GNU community when you refer to GNU. For me it
is operating system unless you define if you mean community. I think
it is in that context. GNU community need not necessarily agree to
free software philosophy, but FSF shall be there to implement it.

> And on the other hand, maybe just the proposed GNU social contract or a
> similar document could be enough as the philosophical basis for the GNU
> project?

Free software philosophy already has many norms upon which GNU project
has its basis, it had for decades.

Why do you think it needs some new philosophical basis?

> And we should probably have a discussion on how to strengthen the
> overall cohesion of our system, determine a next big goal
> (finalisation of the hurd?

Well... dreams come true. I remember running Hurd in computer club
before some 15 years. But without special applications, it was just
excercise.

> smartphone operating system?),

Do you know Replicant?

Do you know Librem 5? https://puri.sm/

> get there. This includes practical discussions (what can we do?),
> but also philosophical ones: Where are users' freedoms most hurt at
> the moment, where can we have the biggest impact? And again, it
> cannot be done without the FSF, since it might need funding and
> donation campaigns.

With or without FSF, philosophy is there and freely
distributable. Each person can hold speeches about free software
philosophy, may open up GNU computer clubs or GNU fan clubs or GNU
users communities in their own locations.

Free software projects may be as simple as:

1. Print or photocopy flyer from http://en.windows7sins.org/flyer.pdf
   for 500 times.

2. Distribute to students in your university.

3. Place posters.

4. Inform local government decision makers to replace proprietary with
   free software, tell them why.

Invent a project, and do.

--
Thanks,